Saturday 26 December 2015

Azizah Syiami: Identity & Perceptions

By Azizah Syiami Mutik, Indonesia
dialoguetimes.azizah-identity-perceptions
Azizah Syiami

The past one week I’ve experienced the most amazing week I’ve ever had in my life (I hope I am not exaggerating it). Why do I say so? Because ten thousand miles away from Indonesia, I met such beautiful souls in ACWAY Project which gave me a lot to learn, a lot to ponder, and a lot to share to my friends everywhere. And I am honored to be able to call those beautiful souls as my family. Anyway! I will take this opportunity to share with you a little bit about the session that we had with Prof. Abu-Nimer from American University, Washington DC; about how culture and religion can become the source of conflict with the correlation to a problem that I am facing in my community.


A Problem mostly starts from the perception and resources. Resource is real things which the existence of it can be interest of some groups, or would cause the deterrence effect to others, for example oil, military force, nuclear, army, land, and money. Perception is what we have in our head about something, what definition that we build over certain things which then may lead to either positive image or negative images, for example culture, religion, political affiliation, etc. This perception is what most of the people are failing to deal with. Why?
If resource is the problem, then as it is something real you can always find a way to divide it, to share it, to have a joint on it and many more ways to do, but having a perceptions is something way more complicated as you are dealing with the evil inside you to define the person or condition around you. People are different in many aspects; religion, race, appearance, choices of life, culture, idea, job, etc. It is okay to be different, because the source of the problem is when you are trying to make it the same. You try to diminish the existence of basic rule of human being that each and everyone is different. The diminishing, or let’s say ignorance, of differences is wrong idea of how people will be able to resolve the conflict. Here we will take an example from my community.


3 months ago I went back to my hometown in Sumatra after finishing my bachelor in International Relations (Military and Security Study), I found out that the town has evolved into homogeneity race and religion which is very strange to me. 90% of the population in this town is Moslem, but still we have Christians, Catholics, Hindus, and Buddhists since long ago which are also part of our history. The problem is when the majority number, which I think economically and politically will be very powerful, doesn’t have basic understanding about what they are believing in nor why they are doing the practical activity related to it. This group of people is trying to diminish the differences between them. For example, women are covering their head with veil, which I support as the rule of Islam, but the problem is when they cover themselves because, “I don’t want to be different from my friends”, or “I feel alienated if I don’t use it”, even worse “Just because all my colleagues use it”. No! For me, it is not a right reason of doing something, especially when it is related to religion. I still have a view that when you do something related to God, then you suppose to find it morally fulfilling and you find peace of doing it, not because others tell you to do, or because you are afraid of getting judged because you are not doing something, in this case is wearing a veil.

dialoguetimes.azizah-identity-perceptions
Azizah Syiami
Perception is powerful and people are selective to which statements will support their prior perceptions about someone, or something. We should be critical and always ask questions because basically the problem comes from our mind. We thought that it is something wrong with the culture, but it might be from the person, or maybe the context of the situation which makes it seems like the other looks so wrong. Then we should process the information that we get by coding and decoding the interaction between two or more people. This process will give you the better view and avoid your prejudice, so does judgment and discrimination over others. As I said before, I am not against any practice of religion as I am one of a person who believe in God and the beauty of religions.

But when the religious practices become one’s basis for judging others, which make one feel as he/she has a right to condemn other people, then I guess they need to check if they are worshiping God or their ego.


With love, #ACWAY100

Please use the bar below / left side to share with friends, colleagues & family on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2012 Dialogue Times All Right Reserved
Managed by AKSAN Global Services (GH) Ltd Protected by Google