Monday 28 December 2015

Bashir Mohamed: Be empathetic to people

By Bashir Mohamed, Canada
dialoguetimes.bashir-mohamed-empathetic-people
Bashir Mohamed

I try not to hate people, I really do. However, I reached a breaking point today while walking down a busy street in Marrakesh.

People were pushing things in my face, grabbing me by the arm, and being really aggressive. I tried to politely say no but they would continue.

This has happened a lot before but I had enough and became a bad guy. I would say no in a stronger voice and straight up pushed those people out of my way.

This worked. Nobody bothered me anymore and I was able to continue walking without going through that again.


Later, I was standing in front of a store waiting for some friends when a young man approached me. He had watches that he was trying to sell. I resorted to my tactic and told him to go away in a strong voice. When he knew I wouldn't buy anything he said something very interesting. "Why do you people always do this? You are my brother!"

For whatever reason, this surprised me. The guy spoke excellent English, and dressed in a similar style as my younger brother.

I asked him where he was from and he said "The Gambia."

I asked why he left. He told me about the persecution he faced from the government. He said that he feared going home and was trying to make a better life for himself.

I asked for his destination. He said, "Europe." We talked about why he chose Europe at length. In short, he mentioned how stepping foot into Europe guaranteed him rights as an asylum seeker which would mean that his case would be heard.

What he said next stood out to me. He said, "all I want is a chance."

I asked if he had made the journey before. He said, "Yes, three times."

The first two times, the boats sank early on and he was returned back to North Africa. Then he described the third time...

He said he was just 2 miles from the shore when ships appeared. He could see the land and was so close. Unfortunately, the ships caught up to him and he was returned back to North Africa.



He went into more details but it is really hard to write. He described beatings by the Moroccan police, and his fear of water.

He said he wants to try again a fourth time. When I asked how much the journey costs he said about 1,000 euros. He said, "This is why I sell watches. Nobody else will hire me."

I asked for his name. He said, "Abu Bakr."

We parted ways and I had tears in my eyes.

Bashir Mohamed
My family was lucky, after spending six years in a refugee camp we were granted asylum in Canada. This is while others were left with the choice of being stuck in the refugee camp or making the dangerous journey to Europe.

If my family’s refugee application was denied then perhaps I could be the man selling watches hoping for a chance at freedom and peace.
Anyhow...


I finish today feeling grateful of Canada for accepting my family’s refugee application. Also, I finish today with a reminder of how important it is to be empathetic to people. You could have very well been in their shoes.





Please use the bar below / left side to share with friends, colleagues & family on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2012 Dialogue Times All Right Reserved
Managed by AKSAN Global Services (GH) Ltd Protected by Google